Welcome to our little space of the web.

After buying a cute little mill house in Five Points, renovating it and thinking we would never live anywhere else we decided to move. To a rancher. A pink rancher. So not us. But, it will be, with time, elbow grease and good contractors! From the first time we walked in the front door we knew we were home. The new house is right around the corner from my parent's house where I grew up. We are so excited for Matthew and Charlotte to grow up here, riding bikes, going to the pool, playing in the woods... my childhood was filled with freedom and wonder allowed by a safe neighborhood that I could explore and make my place in the world. I am thrilled we can give that to our children.

These days our blog is filled with the adventures of Mateo and Charlotte...mixed in with a few home projects and recipes. But mostly the kids take front and center. Join us on the adventure!

Follow Me on Pinterest

21.7.10

Sunday Dinner

Growing up in a small family far away from grandparents and cousins, i oftened wondered what it would be like to be a part of a big family.  i got a glimpse of it when i would visit my grandparents in Louisiana...my mom was one of nine (yes, good Catholic fam!).  Even my dad's side of the family (he is an only child) had their sunday traditions with extended family that always drew a large crowd.  i was always fascinated by this tradition.  a tradition that i didn't get to experience as a part of my everyday sunday.  sundays at our house were filled with baseball in the summer and football in the winter.

Today, i am married to a man with 2 older brothers and a younger sister.  all of which have significant others.  there are three grandchildren...Josh, Giovanna and Noah.

I should have known what was coming the day that I met my father-in-law, Lee.  He didn't say "Hello" or "Nice to meet you", but "On Thanksgiving, you are at our house.  No questions."  A little taken aback, I simply nodded and hoped my face didn't give anything away. 

Now that I am a Lindgren, Thanksgiving is non-negotiable.  It is always a fun day, especially now that my sister in law, Christy and I have taken over the kitchen duties...we both love to cook and our mother-in-law hates to cook, so it works out well.  At first we tried to tweak the menu a bit, but were scolded when we didn't produce mashed potatoes last year.  We learned.  Stick to the basics.

Loving this tradition of having the entire family together to share an afternoon and a meal, Paul and I started talking about having everyone over for Sunday Dinner.  So, towards the end of the renovation, we had everyone over for an informal lunch.  It was nothing fancy since the back of the house was still under construction and we were crammed into the front of the house...i think it we served sandwiches and chips.  But it was nice.  Just to get everyone together and hang out for a few hours.

Once the house was finished, we formalized the event and about every two weeks we get together for lunch. The boys (and Giovanna) play the Wii while the women prepare lunch.  It's incredibly old fashioned, I know.  But I love it. We don't quite have a table that fits everyone...yet.  My parents have even participated in the Lindgren craziness and usually join us. I love having my house filled with those that are most precious to me and I am so thankful for this new tradition we have created at 1514.

Giovanna (affectionately known as Gi or GiGi)

Christ, Gi and Noah

Noah and GiGi

Everyone piled on the sofa...the puppies were nice enough to share their bed :-)


Noah Lee Lindgren, the newest addition to the Lindgren Clan

1 comment:

  1. I love this tradition as well. Last Sunday we had Sunday dinner at my parents house (at 2:00) and had my parents and Bens over. It is a great family tradition that I hope to continue.

    ReplyDelete