Mother's day.
How much can change in one year.
One year ago, I hit rock bottom as I mourned the loss of a biological child. Mother's day 2011 was very painful. I spent the day with Paul's family and felt very left out as all of the women were celebrated for their devotion to their children. I wanted so desperately to be included. But how could I? I wasn't a mother.
Then, I received the sweetest note from Paul's little sister wishing me a "Happy Mommy's Day!" I melted. I cried. I yearned to be more than just Reggie and Dex's mommy. On several occasions I had to excuse myself and just sat in the bathroom and cried. And cried. And cried.
Somewhere along the way I came to accept that while I wasn't a mother, someday God would grow our family and we would have a child of our own. I was lead to this verse from 1 Peter 5:
8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 10And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
His promises are true. Little did I know the plans God had for our family. As I was mourning the loss of a biological child sweet baby Matthew was being wonderfully and fearfully made. How much can change in a year.
As we celebrate mothers tomorrow I remember the many women in my life who don't have children of their own, but are mothers none the less. Whether her arms ache for a child or she has chosen not to have children, the very nature of women is to nurture the physical, moral, emotional, and spiritual lives of those in her life.
Happy Mother's Day to all of the beautiful women in my life.
Welcome to our little space of the web.
After buying a cute little mill house in Five Points, renovating it and thinking we would never live anywhere else we decided to move. To a rancher. A pink rancher. So not us. But, it will be, with time, elbow grease and good contractors! From the first time we walked in the front door we knew we were home. The new house is right around the corner from my parent's house where I grew up. We are so excited for Matthew and Charlotte to grow up here, riding bikes, going to the pool, playing in the woods... my childhood was filled with freedom and wonder allowed by a safe neighborhood that I could explore and make my place in the world. I am thrilled we can give that to our children.
These days our blog is filled with the adventures of Mateo and Charlotte...mixed in with a few home projects and recipes. But mostly the kids take front and center. Join us on the adventure!
12.5.12
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment