Welcome to our little space of the web.

After buying a cute little mill house in Five Points, renovating it and thinking we would never live anywhere else we decided to move. To a rancher. A pink rancher. So not us. But, it will be, with time, elbow grease and good contractors! From the first time we walked in the front door we knew we were home. The new house is right around the corner from my parent's house where I grew up. We are so excited for Matthew and Charlotte to grow up here, riding bikes, going to the pool, playing in the woods... my childhood was filled with freedom and wonder allowed by a safe neighborhood that I could explore and make my place in the world. I am thrilled we can give that to our children.

These days our blog is filled with the adventures of Mateo and Charlotte...mixed in with a few home projects and recipes. But mostly the kids take front and center. Join us on the adventure!

Follow Me on Pinterest

11.7.12

Life on the Ranch

Thanks to my dear friend Courtney, I have finally started the process of making this new old house a home.  She called on the 4th of July and offered to help paint Matthew's room.  Within the hour, we were painting away. She cut in while I rolled.  By 5pm his room was painted!  Amazing what a fresh coat of paint will do for you! I had leftover paint from his old room so all I am doing is recreating the nursery on Beirne.  I haven't painted the tree yet, but that will come soon.  His new bedroom is a bit larger so I am hoping it becomes a great playroom for him!  Once the tree is finished, I'll post pictures.  

So, with renewed energy I started organizing the guest (pink) bathroom.  Then this past weekend I finally decorated the mantle.  You see, we basically just dumped things more or less close to where they belong, but with no thought to how they were organized or placed. I should have taken a before picture of the mantle and everything that was just dumped on it.

Before (the previous owners)
After.  From Mateo's point of view.


Clearly I haven't tackled the pink walls or the pink valances above the windows but I did finally organize the mantle.  Natalie Cook painted the tea pot and now that it is finally in its place, I feel a little more like I am at home.  I am super excited about the fireplace and we look forward to cozy fires this coming winter.

The house came with a few fun things...one of them being a riding lawnmower.  Paul's first ride was absolutely hysterical.  I was sitting in the den when I see Paul streaking across the back lawn (yes, out the windows above) in a green riding lawnmower.  He was a bit out of control as he got the hang of it!  By the time he moved to the front yard he had things a little more under control.



Upcoming projects:
- painting the tree in Matthew's room and organizing his closets
- decorating the front entry
- repotting the house plants and creating some nice container gardens.  Many of my plants have not done well with the move while others are thriving.  All by accident.  So I need to take what is working and tidy things up a bit and get rid of what has failed (ie, dead plants)
- removing the gas insert from the fireplace and getting it ready for the winter
- shelves in the laundry room
- new shower head and shower curtain in the master bath (the guest bath has a better shower than the master so we have been using that one)

No comments:

Post a Comment