Welcome to our little space of the web.

After buying a cute little mill house in Five Points, renovating it and thinking we would never live anywhere else we decided to move. To a rancher. A pink rancher. So not us. But, it will be, with time, elbow grease and good contractors! From the first time we walked in the front door we knew we were home. The new house is right around the corner from my parent's house where I grew up. We are so excited for Matthew and Charlotte to grow up here, riding bikes, going to the pool, playing in the woods... my childhood was filled with freedom and wonder allowed by a safe neighborhood that I could explore and make my place in the world. I am thrilled we can give that to our children.

These days our blog is filled with the adventures of Mateo and Charlotte...mixed in with a few home projects and recipes. But mostly the kids take front and center. Join us on the adventure!

Follow Me on Pinterest

25.6.10

How did we get such BIG puppies???

When I moved into this house, it was the first time in my adult life I was staying in a stand alone building all by myself.  I had always lived in apartments or with roommates and I must say it freaked me out to be the sole living being in my creaky old house.  So, to remedy that I started searching for a puppy.  I went to petfinder.com and found Dex - it was love at first sight.

So I called to make arrangements to meet him and unfortunately he had been quite sick with parvo and the nice lady said I could come and visit but that they wanted to watch him for a bit longer so I would have to wait a week or two to take him home.  So, mom and I went to meet them out in the country.  Well, there was an entire litter of puppies that had been rescued and Dex had several brothers and sisters.  All were taken except for his sister and Reggie.  The lady at the rescue said she didn't think Reggie would ever get adopted becuase he was all black...if anyone can explain this to me, i'd love to hear why this is a problem, but apparently she thought it would keep him from getting adopted.

Well, as she said that the gears in my mind started turning...I have always thought that if you got two puppies they would grow up together and not be so needy and dependent on their humans and since I just couldn't stand the thought of poor Reggie not being loved because of his color I decided it was time to test out my theory.

I had taken pictures of the puppies and was telling Paul all about them one night when we were at Sazio's...and it was Paul who named them.  Reginald and Pointdexter...or Reggie and Dex.  Being a cat person, I was quite surprised and excited at how my love had embraced the idea of having dogs.  This was going to be great!

A few weeks later, Dex was all better so Paul and I trek off to get our new puppies.  They were very excited to see us and had a blast on the ride home in the back of the heep.



The first time I took them to the vet was quite interesting...the lady at the front desk took one look at Dex and says "What kind of puppy is THAT????".  Dex, being quick witted, immediately responded and informed her that if she must know, he is a DEX puppy!  One of a kind.  And when the vet saw the puppies, he let me know that they were MUCH younger than I had been led to believe.  So that's how we ended up with such big puppies.  I don't know that I would have adopted Reggie if I had realized he would get soooo big.  I have never had a 50 lb puppy in my life!

I must say that I was right about my theory.  Two puppies are way better than one.  I don't think i'll ever adopt a single pet again, in fact.  They keep each other company and while they are quite attached to us, they can handle our long workdays or a trip to the kennel when we go out of town. 

They are also SOOOOO different.  Dex is the troublemaker and full of energy.  He takes care of his big brother.  Reggie is special.  He is quite sensitive and doesn't like loud noises or people yelling.  The addition truly traumatized him.

I love my puppies and I am so glad that Paul does too!

No comments:

Post a Comment