Welcome to our little space of the web.

After buying a cute little mill house in Five Points, renovating it and thinking we would never live anywhere else we decided to move. To a rancher. A pink rancher. So not us. But, it will be, with time, elbow grease and good contractors! From the first time we walked in the front door we knew we were home. The new house is right around the corner from my parent's house where I grew up. We are so excited for Matthew and Charlotte to grow up here, riding bikes, going to the pool, playing in the woods... my childhood was filled with freedom and wonder allowed by a safe neighborhood that I could explore and make my place in the world. I am thrilled we can give that to our children.

These days our blog is filled with the adventures of Mateo and Charlotte...mixed in with a few home projects and recipes. But mostly the kids take front and center. Join us on the adventure!

Follow Me on Pinterest

16.10.10

A few of my favorite things...

Fall is definitely my favorite time of year...i love the fresh breeze flowing through the house, football on the weekends, and hanging out with friends.

For the first time my tea olive tree has bloomed and the scent is intoxicating.  It smells like New Orleans.  I had no idea what this tree (really its more like a large bush) was all about until one day I was wandering around the local nursery and the scent stopped me dead in my tracks.  i HAD to have one.

Well, that was two years ago and it has never gone into full bloom.  So disappointing.  Until last week. 





You'd never guess that those little blooms pack such an incredible scent...i wish i could transmit it through this blog, but I guess you'll just have to stop by for an afternoon cocktail on the front porch to take in its full effect!

A few weeks ago, crisp fall air inspired me to do some much overdue yard work this weekend. It has been so hot this summer, that our newly landscaped yard has not received the attention it needed. So, yesterday I decided to redo all of my planters with mums and pansies. Each year, I usually dump out the old potting soil and replace it with fresh miracle grow. This seems like such a waste, so I decided to test out something. I mixed in composted manure and fertilizer to the pots and planted like normal. Hopefully it works because I have planted EVERYTHING this way :-)


And of course, I LOVE the sound of football on the weekends.  War Eagle!

Lastly, one of our favorite fall meals:

Boiled veggies with Chorizo (spanish cured sausage)

Get a pot of water or stock boiling.  Add a bay leaf (or two) and some olive oil.  Add a cured sausage...anduoille from south louisiana is a good substitute if you can't find chorizo.  The key is that it needs to be a cured sausage...not fresh from the meat department. Meanwhile, start prepping your favorite fall veggies (peel and cut into large chunks)  You can use potatoes, turnips, carrots, onions, really it's up to you.  The only trick is to add the vegetables that need the longest cooking time first.

Once the veggies are almost cooked add your favorite green (spinach, turnip greens, collards, or my favorite, kale.)  They should be chopped and cut.  Note, if you are using collards or turnip greens, they will need more cooking time and can go in with the first batch of veggies.

I usually just let the kale sit on top and steam as the other veggies are cooking in the water.

Once all the veggies are done, remove them and the sausage from the water and serve them on a nice platter.  Drizzle with olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice.  To round out the meal enjoy a nice glass of Rioja and sop up the juices with french bread.

Leftovers are the best part of this meal.  Puree any leftovers (minus the sausage) to make a nice hearty winter soup!  To serve, add a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice.  Enjoy!

- rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment