Welcome to our little space of the web.

After buying a cute little mill house in Five Points, renovating it and thinking we would never live anywhere else we decided to move. To a rancher. A pink rancher. So not us. But, it will be, with time, elbow grease and good contractors! From the first time we walked in the front door we knew we were home. The new house is right around the corner from my parent's house where I grew up. We are so excited for Matthew and Charlotte to grow up here, riding bikes, going to the pool, playing in the woods... my childhood was filled with freedom and wonder allowed by a safe neighborhood that I could explore and make my place in the world. I am thrilled we can give that to our children.

These days our blog is filled with the adventures of Mateo and Charlotte...mixed in with a few home projects and recipes. But mostly the kids take front and center. Join us on the adventure!

Follow Me on Pinterest

13.11.11

Child's Play

I have to be honest, by the time Paul and I got married, I had moved beyond a desire for children.  When I moved back to the states I discovered a career that totally consumed me.  Paul and I were having a great time and I couldn't imagine introducing something into the mix that was going to get in the way of my new found fun.  You see, I didn't have much fun in my 20s.  The things people do in college and right after college, I didn't get to do until my 30s.  This was all my choice, but still, I didn't have your typical college / 20s experience.  So I found myself turning 30, with new found freedom, a great paycheck and having a lot of fun, honestly, adding kids to the mix just didn't sound too appealing.

It wasn't until my friend Katie and I were talking one day and she described having kids in a way that piqued my interest...she told me that having a child was like getting to work on the most amazing creative project that was always changing...and this project was going to last forever.  Well, now that sounds a little more interesting than what I had been imagining.

Shortly thereafter, an amazing thing happened...I got a life.  Outside of my job.  I am not quite sure how it happened, but it seemed to happen the year that I decided to do an olympic distance triathlon.  I had this project...swim bike run (a lot) while raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  It took quite a bit of work, all this training and fundraising.  And at the same time I discovered that I love to grow things.  All of a sudden, my job didn't come home with me anymore.  It didn't keep me up at night.  I didn't obsess about every little detail.  Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE what I do and I work hard. There has simply been a shift and a new interest in other things.  Balance, I'd like to think.  This is about when we started thinking that it was time to grow our family.

Today, here I am, 30 weeks pregnant, expecting baby Matthew in January.  And for me, this adventures seems to go back to Katie and her comparison of raising children to a great life long creative project.  How exciting! Along those lines I have found a few great blogs out there that are great inspiration but this one is my favorite.

http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/

It's all about creating meaningful play places for children.  This absolutely captivates me.  It was actually the topic of my senior year design thesis. And now,  I can't wait to give Matthew his own little corner of the world to learn and create his own places and experiences!


No comments:

Post a Comment