Welcome to our little space of the web.

After buying a cute little mill house in Five Points, renovating it and thinking we would never live anywhere else we decided to move. To a rancher. A pink rancher. So not us. But, it will be, with time, elbow grease and good contractors! From the first time we walked in the front door we knew we were home. The new house is right around the corner from my parent's house where I grew up. We are so excited for Matthew and Charlotte to grow up here, riding bikes, going to the pool, playing in the woods... my childhood was filled with freedom and wonder allowed by a safe neighborhood that I could explore and make my place in the world. I am thrilled we can give that to our children.

These days our blog is filled with the adventures of Mateo and Charlotte...mixed in with a few home projects and recipes. But mostly the kids take front and center. Join us on the adventure!

Follow Me on Pinterest

21.11.11

Let's discover the true meaning of Christmas

Paul and I drove to Louisiana this weekend to visit with my father's mother, Granny B.  On Saturday, we had a nice visit...it had been too long since I had seen her last.

Granny B and I on my wedding day.  Isn't she pretty!
You see, Granny B and I have always been close.  Very close.  When I was little, I would spend weeks with her in Louisiana and she would come to Alabama and spend weeks with us as well.  I have so many great memories:  snuggling with her on Christmas morning waiting for mom and dad to wake up.  "helping" her in the garden and getting bit by the ferocious north Louisiana mosquitoes.  encouraging one another in our faith in Jesus.  being so aggravated by her stubbornness, yet knowing that she's where I get if from!  And many many more.  She is an integral part of who I am today and I am so thankful for her love and guidance.

The flip side is that Haynesville is a 10 hour drive from Huntsville.  Hating the interstate and loving country back roads, Paul and I wandered our way to Little Rock and stayed there for two nights, driving down to Haynesville on Saturday.  As you can imagine, we had a lot of quiet time to ourselves on the drive over and back!

One of our conversations centered around Christmas and what we would like Christmas to be like for our family.  You see, each year I get more and more disturbed by the commercial and material emphasis that corporate America has attached to Christmas. And its stressful...this pressure to give the perfect gift to EACH AND EVERY family member.  I mean, really???  And each year it seems my reaction gets stronger...this year I am ready to boycott all gift giving entirely and ask that my family do the same.  There are so many compelling reasons for this:  Money is tight.  Do we really need the latest doodad?  There are those less fortunate out there that could really use the money from that latest doodad to fund a real need.  Purchasing the latest doodad is the easy way out.  With little thought and minimal effort, I have a gift to give and can check you off my list.  However, my thoughts and my time are more precious than anything else I have and by giving you my thoughts and my time, regardless of the end result, you will experience my true love for you.

Paul and I have talked about this before Matthew was even a thought and we always seem to come to the same conclusion.  Christmas is about celebrating the birth of our Saviour.  Christmas is about creating family traditions. Spending time with those we love most.  Giving to those less fortunate.  Going to mass on Christmas eve.  Lighting the advent wreath each night.  Decorating the tree with ornaments made by family through the years.  Trekking through the neighborhoods to see the Christmas lights!  Letting your loved ones KNOW they are loved through your actions.  Going to a local Christmas concert.  Making ornaments.  Leaving the Christmas tree up through Epiphany, when the three kings visited baby Jesus. Taking a family vacation. Making peppermint bark to share.  Volunteering at a local charity. Baking croissants on Christmas morning.

Some of these things we already do and some we'll add as the years go on...but the main thing is this...love.  And let it spread beyond December 25 throughout the whole year.  Money and material possessions can bring some fleeting happiness but Love! Love is eternal. Love conquers all.

No comments:

Post a Comment